SWEA South Florida’s Cultural Scholarship 2018
Apply by May 1st, 2018. Announcements by May 18th, 2018.
SWEA is a nonprofit organization for Swedish-speaking women who are living or have lived abroad. SWEA was founded in 1979 and is a global network with approximately 7,000 Swedish-speaking women in 74 chapters and 33 countries. Our local chapter in South Florida has 170 members and was founded in 1992.
SWEA supports education through scholarships for projects or studies with specific emphasis on Sweden or Swedish aspects. The goal of SWEA South Florida’s Cultural Scholarship is to encourage, support and raise awareness of the Swedish culture, traditions and language.
The scholarship for the 2018 academic year is up to five thousand US dollars ($5,000) depending on the durability of the studies.
Eligibility criteria for the scholarship:
To be eligible for the scholarship the applicant (male or female) must:
- Be a resident of Florida;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Define the studies or the project in time and content, including a detailed budget (i.e. air fare, ground transportation, housing, meals, study materials, etc., as applicable);
- Provide evidence of acceptance at the institution where the studies or the project are going to take place; and
- Agree in writing to provide a report on how the scholarship was used by submitting an article to SWEA South Florida within three months of completion of such studies or project.
- SWEA members or individuals closely related to a SWEA member are not eligible for the SWEA South Florida Scholarship.
Project or field of study, with specific emphasis on Sweden or Swedish aspects:
- The Swedish language;
- Swedish culture or traditions;
- Environmental science;
- A healthcare program promoting better health for women and children;
- A handicraft, art, glass art, music, literature or design project or study; or
- An exchange program with Sweden.
The application must be received by the SWEA South Florida Scholarship Committee not later than May 1st, 2018. The application may be sent by email to the Scholarship Committee chairperson, Sara Schesser Bartra, at: sara_bartra(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)hotmail.com or may also be sent by mail to the following address:
Sara Schesser Bartra/SWEA South Florida Scholarship Committee
8345 SW 163rd Street, Palmetto Bay, FL 33157
The Scholarship Committee will review the applications and present its recommendations to the Board of Directors of SWEA South Florida. The Board of Directors will make the final decision as to the applicant that will be awarded the scholarship. All the applicants will be notified not later than May 18th, 2018.
For more information please contact Sara Schesser Bartra by email at sara_bartra(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)hotmail.com or by phone at (305) 299-8223.